My aim in writing this blog is to provoke thought and discussion, so I encourage readers to post their reactions, questions, and comments. However, it is all too easy for an Internet conversation to degenerate into a shouting match that ignores substantive issues and discourages others from participating.
Here is my comment policy. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following terms:
1. You may comment with or without registering.
2. You may post anonymously, though I encourage you not to. I believe identifying ourselves makes it more likely that we will treat one another respectfully. I may change this rule if anonymous posting leads to abuse.
3. You may post comments on the posts, questions, or items related to the subject of the post. You may post comments on other people’s comments. Items not related to the content of the post will be deleted.
4. You may disagree with me or with other commenters. However, all comments must be respectful of me and others. Disrespectful comments and ad hominem statements (ridiculing the person, rather than questioning the content of the argument) will not be tolerated.
5. I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason or no reason whatsoever. Your freedom of speech gives you the right to publish your words on your blog, not on mine.
6. Comments that are snarky, off-topic, libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violate or encourage others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws will be deleted.
7. Attempts to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services will be deleted. However, you may post a link to your Web site or most recent blog post.
8. You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
9. You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you will add to the conversation.