Earlier this week I asked people to share their favorite Bible verse. I’ve been enjoying the responsesso far, and have been amazed at the variety of Scriptures that people have found meaningful.
- “Moderation in all things.”
- “To thine own self be true” (that’s Shakespeare, actually).
- “Money is the root of all evil.” (Read closely then compare to 1 Timothy 6:10.)
- “Once saved, always saved.”
- “Cleanliness is next to godliness.”
- “This, too, shall pass.”
- “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”
- “God helps those who help themselves.”
- Mary riding on a donkey (doesn’t say how they got to Bethlehem).
- Three wise men (no number of Magi is given).
- Jesus born in a stable (says only that he was laid in a manger).
- Angels singing (text says only what they were saying).
- The little drummer boy.
This is a reminder that we should take good care in quoting the Bible so that our own ideas don’t get mixed up with God’s.