Earlier this week I asked people to share their favorite Bible verse. I’ve been enjoying the responsesso far, and have been amazed at the variety of Scriptures that people have found meaningful.
- “Moderation in all things.”
- “To thine own self be true” (that’s Shakespeare, actually).
- “Money is the root of all evil.” (Read closely then compare to 1 Timothy 6:10.)
- “Once saved, always saved.”
- “Cleanliness is next to godliness.”
- “This, too, shall pass.”
- “An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”
- “God helps those who help themselves.”
- Mary riding on a donkey (doesn’t say how they got to Bethlehem).
- Three wise men (no number of Magi is given).
- Jesus born in a stable (says only that he was laid in a manger).
- Angels singing (text says only what they were saying).
- The little drummer boy.
This is a reminder that we should take good care in quoting the Bible so that our own ideas don’t get mixed up with God’s.
What saying do you wish was in the Bible (but isn’t)?