The first question I hear from every newcomer to Fall Creek Wesleyan Church is the same: “What does Wesleyan mean?”
We have a proud history, so I never mind the question. It’s just cumbersome to explain.
- Connected to the great revivals led by John and Charles Wesley that transformed England and America.
- Historic leaders in social justice causes such as the abolition, women’s rights, temperance, the pro-life movement, and anti-trafficking.
- Ordaining the first woman in America.
- Believers in the Bible but not fundamentalists.
- Evangelical with a small “e.”
- Founders of Indiana Wesleyan University and five other institutions of higher learning.
How do you reduce 250 years of evangelism and social action to a single sound byte?
Thankfully, Prof. Bud Bence has done that in this marvelous talk, “Who Are the Wesleyans?”
The video is a little long, about 14 minutes, but well worth your time.
Note: This was recorded (pirated, by the look of it) at our General Conference in 2012 in Lexington, Ky. The cackling laugh you hear in the background is Dr. Jo Anne Lyon, our General Superintendent and fearless leader.